Third party liability & household contents insurance


You have successfully secured a lease contract or are arriving in Switzerland to reside in temporary accommodation.

Before receiving the keys to your accommodation, the real-estate agency will most likely require you to provide proof that you have an insurance policy covering third-party liability and household contents.

  • Understand the Swiss personal and household contents insurance system
  • Request quotes from insurance providers
  • Select and notify your preferred insurance provider
  • Receive insurance policy documents
  • File policies, invoices and correspondence

Need to know

  • Third-party (personal) liability insurance is a requirement in most cantons in order to obtain the keys to your rental property
  • Your policy will partially cover the repair costs for accidental damages that you or your family might cause to the rental property
  • Third party liability insurance will cover you and all your family for accidental damages caused to another party
  • A third party liability insurance policy from your home country will not be accepted. You must have a policy with a Swiss-based insurance company
  • Other insurance policies, such as household content insurance and private legal expenses insurance, are also highly recommended and it makes sense to combine them with your personal liability insurance policy
  • The best service and most effective claims handling can usually be obtained by having all your policies with one trusted company

How to proceed

  • Before you contact an insurance company in Switzerland, you need to have the following information to hand:
    - Home address and (if applicable) an address in Switzerland
    - Estimated value of your household goods
    - Credit card for immediate or online payment (if accepted by insurance company)
  • Hello Switzerland tip: contract a fast, safe and comprehensive solution upon arrival to cover your basic insurance needs for the first 2 -3 months.

    Then, within two months of arrival, meet with your insurance advisor and fine-tune your policy to your specific needs

Expected timeframe

  • You can begin the process while still in your home country
  • It is advisable to have basic but comprehensive coverage as soon as you set foot in Switzerland
  • At the latest one week before the planned date of your accommodation handover, you need to have proof that you have third party liability insurance. This letter of proof can be obtained as soon as you have a policy with a Swiss insurance company
  • You can defer the start date of your policy to begin on the day of your arrival or at your property handover

Where to find help

Complete support with insurance needs

Daniel Ahmeti and his team of professional insurance advisers at Helvetia are here to offer comprehensive insurance advice tailored to the needs of international people living in Switzerland.

How much does it cost

  • Full coverage – including household insurance and legal insurance – will depend on the value of your belongings and therefore a meeting at your home with your insurance adviser is essential
  • Basic third-party (personal) liability insurance costs between CHF 185 and CHF 230 per year (without household content insurance)

Take control of your relocation

Free guidance and support lets you take control of your own relocation.

Order extra support easily if you need it.

» Browse our Relocation Store

Featured Partners Thanks to all supporting partners of Hello Switzerland