In July 2012 a Swiss law on CO2 came into effect which has huge consequences for privately imported cars.
If you import a new or an up to 6-month-old car into Switzerland onwards, you will have to pay a CO2 tax for the car depending on the car's CO2 emissions and weight. In general, it could be said that you'll be liable to pay if the cars emits more than 130g/km in CO2 emissions. However, each case needs to be calculated on an individual basis, because the car's weight will be taken into consideration (the bigger the weight, the greater the emissions allowed).
Examples of tax charged
- BMW X3 2.0 Diesel (147g/1800kg): CHF 0.--. (We have good offers)
- BMW X3 3.0 Diesel (159g/1875kg): CHF 700.-- (We have good offers)
- Hyundai Genesis Coupé (244g/1500kg): CHF 10200.—
- Volvo XC60 D3 (179g/1808kg): CHF 2700.– (We have good offers)
- Audi Q7 3.0 V6 (244g/2220kg): CHF 7600.– (We have good offers)
Let the experts handle it for you
Markus Häfeli founded Autociel in 2002.
Markus and his team of auto experts is here to advise you on all matters related to renting, leasing, purchasing or selling cars.
What are the solutions?
- Contact us, to find out how much the car you bought or intend to buy would cost to import
- We can help you find a nearly new car (this especially makes sense for sports cars like Audi S4, S5, Porsche, Range Rover etc.), because the law does not apply to cars that are more than 6 months old and have low mileage. We have 10 years of experience in importing these kinds of cars from Germany, and therefore all the necessary knowhow.
- We can help you buy a car in Switzerland at a competitive price.
- We can help you buy a used car, either one that we've imported if it makes sense, or one that we've found here in Switzerland (prices in some regions can be higher than in others).
Autociel.ch can help you find the best solution in every case.
For all your questions, contact us at:
0041 21 796 37 37
0041 79 279 45 44 or 0041 21 796 37 39