Family activities in Switzerland
Public facilities in Switzerland are clearly signposted and well maintained, but natural areas often don't have definite safety restrictions. It's left to the individual to enjoy nature responsibly. This liberal philosophy allows for freedom and mutual respect and for children to become ‘street smart' in cities and ‘nature wise' in the great outdoors.
Children's activities in the Bern Region
Bern and surroundings offer plenty of family activities to choose from. Summer is ideal for day trips to explore the area. Swimming pools, are plentiful and remain open until 8pm on summer evenings, so perfect for al fresco dining and meeting friends. City parks are oases from everyday stress. In winter nearby ski resorts offer skiing and snowboarding opportunities.
Essential tips for planning family activities
- Child-friendly facilities such as road rest stops, baby changing rooms, and breast feeding areas make life easier for families.
- The Touring Club of Switzerland (TCS) ensures security whilst on a road trip.
- Swiss railways has great ideas and offers for family outings, as well as family carriages on board SBB CFF trains,
- Ikea in Lyssach, the Westside shopping centre and the Shoppyland in Schönbühl have children's play areas.
- The Swiss weather forecast can help with planning activities.
- Book for summer camps early in the year. The infrastructure is outstanding, with a tradition of inviting young adventurers to discover new horizons.
- Fäger is the city of Bern's selection of holiday activities and offers a wide range of workshops, tours, courses and camps.
- The Ferienpass holiday programme of Biel-Bienne can be found on the Biel Bienne website.
Outdoors with children in Bern and Biel-Bienne
- Summer is ideal for hiking, swimming, cycling, and sailing.
- Winter is great for skiing, snowboarding, sledging and snowshoeing.
- Sport clubs and organisations are well-run and a good way for children to meet friends while keeping active.
- Parks and playgrounds, many along the Aare river, have barbecue facilities available to the public.
- Rope Tech in Bern and Forest jump in the Bernese Jura offer adventures in the forest.
- Leisure activities and clubs are available online for both Bern and Biel.
- Dählhölzli Zoo is on the banks of the Aare River in Bern and is close to the Bear Park.
- Climb the 222 steps of the Münster cathedral to take in a panoramic view of Bern.
Rainy day activities with children in Bern and Biel-Bienne
- Cinemas, museums and theatres are obvious choices for a rainy day.
- Cheese, chocolate and other factories such as Kambly Biscuits reveal how Swiss speciality products are made.
- Bernaqua at Westside Shopping Centre offers all-weather fun water activities.
Babies and small children