Once you have moved to Switzerland, you have 3 months to choose a health insurance provider.
As soon as you sign the contract, you will only be able to change your insurance provider once a year (30 November of next year), provided you give one months' notice.
Mandatory basic health insurance
Mandatory basic health insurance provided by all health insurers covers exactly the same benefits.
However, they differ greatly in terms of quality of service.
The cost of the insurance is influenced by the amount of franchise deductible you are willing to pay.
Do you often have health problems?
Then you might want to go for a low franchise and a high insurance premium. In case something happens to you, your insurer will cover all costs above the franchise deductible.
In addition to mandatory insurance, you will have to take into account supplementary insurance which might allow you access to a wider range of treatments, like complementary medicine, psychotherapy or even massage.
What to consider in the case of Supplementary insurance
Before you carefully select your health insurance provider, here are some key things to consider:
- Do they offer service in English?
- How long will it take for hospitalization coverage to begin? What is the coverage limited to?
- Is all prescribed medication covered up to 90% of the costs, or are there restrictions?
- Are there restrictions on hospitalization outside the canton of residence?
- What is covered whilst travelling abroad?
- Are emergency ambulance costs covered?
- Which costs are covered for dental care due to an accident?
- Are extra charges likely to be incurred? If so, what are they?
- What costs are included for spectacles and contact lenses?
- Is there a waiting period for special care, maternity or other?
- What specific treatments does this policy exclude?
'Healthy insurance' from EGK-Gesundheitskasse
With 100 years of insurance experience, EGK – Gesundheitskasse is one of the most reliable health insurance companies in Switzerland.
EGK-Gesundheitskasse believes in the equal treatment of traditional and complementary medicine and offers its insured members barrier-free access to complementary medicine therapies.
This stems from the conviction that each individual should be viewed holistically. 'Healthy insurance' is not just a slogan but EGK's philosophy.
Find out more about EGK-Gesundheitskasse basic health insurance. With the traditional model you can enjoy a free choice of doctor and direct access to specialists and hospitals.
If you are looking to better understand the Swiss health care system and select the best insurance for your needs, contact a professional insurance advisor from EGK-Gesundheitskasse.