Sports in Switzerland
Switzerland has an abundance of natural playgrounds and is a paradise for sports and outdoor enthusiasts. Whether water, air, or earth is your preferred element or you live for the adrenalin rush of extreme sports, Switzerland will have something for you.
There is a huge choice of winter and summer sports in Switzerland, including skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing, hiking, canoeing, mountaineering, cycling, mountain biking, golf, wakeboarding, windsurfing and paragliding. Most sports facilities are easily reachable by public transport. Season tickets and club memberships will help to reduce costs.
Sports in Bern and surrounds
- Sportamt Bern offers detailed information on sports facilities, clubs and activities in Bern.
- Biel-Bienne is passionate about sports, with 170 sports clubs, 90 different facilities, a running event, and surf and sailing clubs.
- Nature lovers will delight in fresh air, flora and fauna. Running along or swimming in the Aare River and Lake Biel are popular ways of keeping fit.
- Hiking is considered to be Switzerland's national sporting pastime: there are ample opportunities in the Bernese Alps and Jura ranges.
- Lake Biel is ideal for water sports such as wind gliding, kite surfing, water skiing/wakeboarding and diving.
- Sports clubs and gyms and fitness studios are a good way to keep fit and meet people. Most gyms offer different membership options and some health insurances contribute towards membership fees.
- Biel hosts an annual international chess festival.
- Swim at an in- or outdoor swimming pool
- Other sports clubs include: Bern Cricket Club, Rugby Club Bern, Bern Cardinals Baseball and Softball Club, The Bern Grizzlies American Football Club and the Bienna Jets American Football Club
- Migros runs a golf park in Mosseedorf.
Sporting events in Bern
The annual Grand Prix in May is a popular 10mile (16, 093 km) annual running event in Bern that attracts over 25'000 participants. A 5 or 10 km Women's Run (Frauenlauf) is held in June. Biel-Bienne hosts a 100km marathon. Visit the Swiss Running website for more information on running events.