Sports in Switzerland
Switzerland has an abundance of natural playgrounds and is a paradise for sports and outdoor enthusiasts. Whether water, air, or earth is your preferred element or you live for the adrenalin rush of extreme sports, Switzerland will have something for you.
There is a huge choice of winter and summer sports in Switzerland, including skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing, hiking, canoeing, mountaineering, cycling, mountain biking, golf, wakeboarding, windsurfing and paragliding. Most sports facilities are easily reachable by public transport. Season tickets and club memberships will help to reduce costs.
Sports in Fribourg
- The Fribourg sports service and Fribourg regional tourism provide detailed information on facilities and activities for nature lovers, such as hiking, water and winter sports.
- Sports clubs and gyms and fitness studios are a good way to keep fit and meet people. Some health insurances contribute towards membership fees.
- Indoor climbing at Givisiez
- Golf at Urban Golf Downtown Fribourg
- Running trails include the local Fribourg Vita Parcours fitness trail.
- In- and outdoor swimming pools
- Fribourg Hash Harriers is a fun running group for international expats and open-minded locals who don't take themselves too seriously.
- Or check out the Velo museum
Other sports clubs
- HC Fribourg-Gottéron is Fribourg's most popular ice hockey team, which plays in the A National League. Games are held in the Patinoire St-Léonard.
- Benetton Fribourg Olympic plays basketball.
- FC Fribourg plays football in the Swiss first league.
Sporting events in Fribourg
- Popular annual sporting events in Fribourg include slowUp Murten/Morat his popular annual car-free event held in April offers 32km of human powered mobility: cycling, skating, skate boarding, hiking, running, skipping or jumping. With around 30km of scenic routes closed to motorised traffic for the day, there is a fun and diverse program all along the route that is ideal for all ages. A similar event takes place in Gruyère in July.
- The most popular race in the canton, the Mortat-Fribourg race, is held on the first Sunday of October. 8000 people run or walk 17.17kms.
- The Fédération Fribourgeoise d'Athlétisme provides further details of athletic events in Fribourg
- Other annual events: take your pick of winter and summer sports and cultural events in and around Fribourg