Sports in Switzerland
Switzerland has an abundance of natural playgrounds and is a paradise for sports and outdoor enthusiasts. Whether water, air, or earth is your preferred element or you live for the adrenalin rush of extreme sports, Switzerland will have something for you.
There is a huge choice of winter and summer sports in Switzerland, including skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing, hiking, canoeing, mountaineering, cycling, mountain biking, golf, wakeboarding, windsurfing and paragliding. Most sports facilities are easily reachable by public transport. Season tickets and club memberships will help to reduce costs.
Sports in Geneva and surrounds
- City of Geneva offers detailed information on sports in Geneva
- Nature lovers will delight in fresh air, flora and fauna and a panoramic view of Geneva, with its quays, the lake and the Jura Mountains. The exceptional view from the southeast looks over the Alps and Mont Blanc.
- Hiking is considered to be Switzerland's national sporting pastime, and there are ample opportunities in Geneva. The active and adventurous will delight in, Geneva's favourite venue for climbers, hikers, mountain bikers, paragliders, delta wingers, and cross country skiers, the Salève.
- Lake Leman is a playground for water sports such as wind gliding, kite surfing, water skiing/wakeboarding and diving.
- Sports clubs and gyms and fitness studios are a good way to keep fit and meet people. Most gyms offer different membership options and some health insurances contribute towards membership fees.