In the meantime, here are three possibilities. The first is with the local documentary film festival Visions du Réel. Although their site is in French only, you will find that many people in this organisation speak English.
The second is with Serve the City Geneva (they work in Nyon too).
Above: "Serve the City Nyon" volunteers – photo courtesy "Serve the City"
The third is with International Conference Volunteers (the Living in Nyon editor has volunteered with this latter organisation before, there are lots of way of helping here, particularly if you want to volunteer your administration, writing, interpreting or IT skills).
Volunteers wanted for film festival in Spring
Visions du Reél, Nyon's documentary film festival which takes place from the 25th April to the 3rd of May 2014, is looking for volunteers. Help is required in welcoming film goers, professionals and members of the public to the festival and with logistics and transport. If you are interested in helping out in this fabulous film festival See here Next year, this film festival celebrates its 20th anniversary.
Volunteer with Serve the City Geneva or Serve the City Nyon.
Looking for year round volunteering opportunities? Take a look at Serve the City and the work they do around Geneva and Nyon. Many people from the international community volunteer their time with various temporary and permanent projects throughout the year with Serve the City. They are currently helping the Salvation Army shelter which houses 40 homeless seven nights a week. They serve breakfast and a hot dinner in the evening. Their website is in English and French.
More info here and see video below.
International Conference Volunteers
ICVolunteers is another organisation based in Geneva which offers many short- and long-term opportunities to volunteer in local, national and international settings.
According to their website, ICVolunteers provides "motivated individuals with unique short- and long-term opportunities to volunteer in local, national and international settings.volunteers offer their knowledge and experience to provide critical assistance to important humanitarian and other non-profit projects. At the same time, they also acquire new skills and grow both personally and professionally". There are lots of ways to volunteer with this association :
- Conference Volunteering. Work with other ICV volunteers to help plan, host, interpret and report on events for some of the most interesting and important local, national and international conferences.
- CyberVolunteering. The CyberVolunteers Program recruits, trains and coordinates volunteers with skills in information and communication technology (ICT) for development. Volunteers participate in local, regional and international projects for a period of several weeks or months, offering their skills in areas such as web or software development, system administration and content generation.
- Language services. ICVolunteers recruits and coordinates volunteer translators and interpreters. We manage a network of community interpreters who accompany migrants (MigraLingua).
- Communications and journalism. Write and edit articles, interviews and other contributions for ICV publications, our website and other online forums.
- Volunteering in different places around the world. Volunteers can participate in local, regional and international projects for a period of several weeks or months in communications and journalism, information and communications technology, or conference services.
- Other professional activities. Individuals can apply their professional talents, including accounting, bookkeeping, computer maintenance, transportation services, and other important skills, to help our organization manage and build its programs.
- Internships and ‘long-term' volunteering with ICVolunteers. We offer internships (unpaid) and long-term volunteer opportunities, be it in translation (from and to English, French and Spanish), event organization, writing and editing, Internet research, IT-related work (web, system and software development) and resource mobilization in Geneva (Switzerland). We are also looking for long-term volunteer for our offices in Canada, France, Mali, South Africa, Spain and are working with online volunteers.
For more information visit www.livinginnyon.com