Child care services in Switzerland
Child care services in Switzerland are generally in great demand. Day centres are managed and funded by communes within each canton, and admit children living within the local area. Fees are based on a sliding scale according to income. Private child care services with fixed fees are also available. Public centres may be cheaper than private centres, but waiting lists are often longer.
Child care in Ticino
- Ticino per bambini has a list of babysitting and childcare resources.
- Croce Rossa Ticino is the local branch of the Swiss Red Cross and offers qualified and registered babysitting services.
- Aupair.ch mediates between host families and au pairs.
- Children between two and four can attend nurseries or playgroups.
- Children begin kindergarten between the age of five and six in Ticino. Primary school starts between six and seven.
- The local government web site has information on day family care, kindergarten, day care centres and the schooling system in Ticino. There are also guidelines for the integration of newcomers in Ticino.