Choosing the right school for your children requires you to be well-informed, organised and open-minded.
There are many important factors which require your consideration in order to make the right decision.
- Age of your child
- Your child's personality
- Prior school experience
- Languages spoken
- How long you are planning to stay in Switzerland
- Where you are going next - are entrance exams required?
- Where do you believe/want your child's future to be centered
- Do you have private school tuition support?
Once you decide on a school, read the article Enrol in Swiss schools.
- Free schooling
- Local integration
- Excellent facilities
- Proximity to home or access by public transport
- Guaranteed admission for mandatory school age students
- Extra language assistance for foreign students during transition period (approximately 1 year)
- Child's age and personality: adaptability, independence and self motivation
- Non continuous school day: midday and after school care options are increasingly available in certain areas
- Language of instruction in a "foreign" language: second official language competency by age 15
- Future education options focused on Swiss system: university and apprenticeships
- Advancement to pre-university preparation, Matura or Maturité option, determined by academic performance in early secondary school (age 12-15). Available to approximately 20-30% of student body depending on canton
- Familiarity: compatibility of school program to home country
- Choice of language of instruction: English, German, French, etc. or bilingual (e.g. English and local language)
- Continual school day with lunch options at school, possibility for after school care at selected schools at an extra charge
- International environment with students who have multicultural backgrounds
- Preparation for continued international education, International Baccalaureate (European/worldwide) or Advance Placement (USA)
- Bilingual international school: international outlook and close ties to local culture and community
- Private fees are costly, varies by school
- Transportation required: school buses available at extra charge
- Application for admission required – acceptance dependent on places available
- In general: conditions of acceptance are based on prior language of instruction and application date, not examination based. Earliest possible application completion recommended.