Get to know Lucerne and meet new people
Lucerne is a beautiful lakeside city with a lot to offer. Local publications, expat groups and Lucerne Tourism are a good place to start familiarising yourself with your new town. Lucerne has many expat groups and international companies. Meetup is a good website to find others with similar interests. You can also look into the International Women's Club of Lucerne and the Anglo Swiss Club. Stay up to date on interesting events in your area through the Hello Switzerland Events page.
Things to do in Lucerne
Lucerne is historically significant and one of Switzerland's top tourist destinations because of its lakeside location and stunning mountain backdrops. In addition to its wealth of historical buildings the city has invested in modern facilities such as the futuristic KKL building or the Allmend sports facility (DE). The Luzerner Theatre organizes theatre events especially for expats and the Chor der Nationen brings together singers from all over the globe. If you're looking for outdoor activities for summer or winter, check out Lucerne Tourism for some inspiration.
Use the Around Me feature on the Hello Switzerland app (on iPhone and Android) to locate points of interest in your vicinity. Find other great suggestions in the Family activities in Lucerne article. MySwitzerland is another great tool for discovering what to do and where to go in Lucerne and Switzerland.
Cultural activities in Lucerne
Lucerne offers a variety of cultural activities such as theatres, museums and galleries. The Historical Museum and Kunstmuseum (Museum of Art Lucerne) are highlights. There are also several local festivals throughout the year. Lucerne Festival and Carnival are two massive events. The Blue Balls Music Festival is always bringing big names to Lucerne. Find the complete list of Lucerne events and festivals online.
Eating out, restaurants & nightlife
Sample local and international cuisine in Lucerne's many high quality restaurants. A stop at one of the Heini cafés is a must to sample traditional Lucerner confectionary and cakes. Browse through the Hello Switzerland Directory to find recommended restaurants. While you are finding your own favourites, here are a few classic suggestions to get you started. La Perla is an elegant and well frequented Italian restaurant offering high standard, good value, all-round Italian food. Weisses Schloss serves excellent traditional Swiss food and is well-known for its veal schnitzel. Bistro Du Theatre has great atmosphere. Pizzeria Luzern boasts "the best pizza in town" and Hotel Montana has an unbeatable ambiance with the most amazing views (reservations in summer for the terrace are an absolute must). Brasserie Bodu has delicious French cuisine and finally, the Italian cuisine of Barbatti is unbeatable.
Leisure and day trips in and around Lucerne
- A visit to Engelberg and Titlis is a must for anyone living in the Lucerne area. Visit in summer or winter to hike, ski, sled and much more.
- Lucerne Tourism is the starting point for day trips to a variety of picturesque destinations. Explore the historic old town, the lake shores or the surrounding mountains.
- Pilatus is a must see! Take the Pilatusbahn cogwheel train from Alpnachstad and Kriens.
- For panoramic sightseeing, Flubag (DE), in Beromünster, offers tours by air.
- Lake Lucerne (DE) can easily be explored by taking a boat from the landing stage near the train station. Boats operate all year round.
- Klewenalp/Stockhütte (DE) is an alpine terrace overlooking Lake Lucerne with breathtaking views along the hiking paths (summer). Rise above the fog and enjoy the sunshine in the winter months for a spot of skiing or winter walks.
- Discover where Europe's first cogwheel train was built at Rigi.
- Visit the Stanserhorn for its panorama of 100 kilometres of the Alps and 10 lakes.
To rejuvenate, take a getaway at a wellness centre. Here are a few well known examples:
- Rigikaltbad Mineralbad & Spa
- Swiss holiday park
- Palace Spa
- Fitness Park – fitness centre and spa with two locations: National and Allmend
- Park Weggis