Entertainment, news and media in Ticino
Culture, tradition, and the arts are highly esteemed in Ticino and annual events and festivals are highlights of the national calendar. Local newspapers, radio and television provide news and information on upcoming events. Tourism information centres and expat groups are good for staying informed and up to date. International English language publications are available at kiosks, newsagents, libraries and online.
What's on in Ticino
Ticino hosts several extremely popular annual events:
- The Locarno Film Festival is currently in its 66th year and has steadily gained a reputation as a significant international film event. Over 11 days, Locarno becomes a meeting place for film aficionados and professionals. The Piazza Grande features open-air projections on one of the biggest screens in the world. The programme ranges from art house and innovative to mainstream cinema and features work from both established and emerging filmmakers.
- The Bellinzona Film Festival is held in winter and is aimed at aspiring and emerging filmmakers.
- Ascona Jazz Festival: for ten days at the beginning of summer, Ascona and New Orleans unite in music, when the finest international jazz artists visit the festival at Lake Maggiore. With live music ranging from New Orleans traditional to Chicago jazz, swing to mainstream, ragtime to gospel, with excursions into blues, R&B, soul, Latin, and funk rhythms, bars, restaurants and hotels become jazz clubs, with lakeside performances in the evenings.
- Moon and Stars, Locarno runs for ten days in July at the spectacular Piazza Grande. This relatively new international pop and rock music event is fast becoming known as the Montreux of the Southern Alps.
- The Estival Jazz Mendrisio and Lugano Festival creates a memorable music experience by mixing various jazz flavours with blues, pop, soul, rock and world music and features artists from all over the world. There are free open air concerts in the squares of Lugano and Mendrisio.
- Various music festivals are regularly held in Lugano, Bellinzona, Mendrisio and Lugano. Lugano Festival is dedicated to classical music but is also open to other artistic forms.
- Rabadan Carnival in Bellinzona: Rabadan means noise and over a few days in February, hundreds of thousands joyfully celebrate a 150 year old local tradition with something for young and old.
- Ticino events has the latest listings, Ticino tourism has pages with news and upcoming events, and Ticino online provides news, events and information. See Enjoying Ticino for more events and activities.
Restaurants, entertainment and nightlife
- Nightlife: Ticino Tourism has great suggestions in the nightlife section. Vanilla, Beach Lounge, and Living Room are well-known nightclubs. Usgang.ch has information about upcoming nightlife in Ticino.
- Theatre: there are numerous theatres and theatre groups in Ticino, including Teatro Sociale Bellinzona.
- Tickets to theatres, cinemas, events, festivals and concerts can be bought from TicketCorner.
- Restaurants: Ticino Tourism provides a range of suggestions for eating out, from traditional to trendy.
- Tourist information centres and local newspapers provide information about upcoming local and regional events.
- Explore Ticino's gastronomic heritage and winemaking culture.
International expat groups in Ticino include American Women of Ticino, International Women's Club of Lugano, the Lugano English Speaking Group, and the British Swiss Chamber of Commerce. Join sports clubs or take a part-time course to meet people with similar interests.
English publications in Ticino
- Hello Switzerland is written by expats for expats in Switzerland and published quarterly, free of charge.
- Swiss news is a monthly national newspaper focusing on events from an expatriate's perspective.
- Swiss Style provides information on services, products and events for the Anglophone population.
English radio and television in Ticino
The Federal Office of Communications (OFCOM) lists licensed broadcasters in Switzerland. The Swiss national public broadcaster (SSG/SSR) provides regional television channels via cable, installed in most homes. International channels are available with TV providers. Other English language television and radio stations are available via digital, satellite or live streaming. English-language radio stations are available online throughout Switzerland, BBC World Service via digital satellite or internet streaming. Other English radio, like World Radio Switzerland, can be received via DAB+ radio or streamed over the internet. Programming includes contemporary music, chat, BBC news, interviews, lots of great contests, and local goings on for the English speaking community. Local Ticino radio stations include Ticino news, Radio Ticino, and Swiss Italian Radio.
Photo: swiss-image/ Zuerich Tourismus