Sports in Switzerland
Switzerland has an abundance of natural playgrounds and is a paradise for sports and outdoor enthusiasts. Whether water, air, or earth is your preferred element or you live for the adrenalin rush of extreme sports, Switzerland will have something for you.
There is a huge choice of winter and summer sports in Switzerland, including skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing, hiking, canoeing, mountaineering, cycling, mountain biking, golf, wakeboarding, windsurfing and paragliding. Most sports facilities are easily reachable by public transport. Season tickets and club memberships will help to reduce costs.
Sports in Lausanne and surrounds
- Lausanne, the Olympic Capital, supports sporting activity at every level and in every form.
- The La Côte region offers a wealth of winter and summer sporting activities.
- Sports facilities in Lausanne are outstanding.
- Lausanne hosts regular athletic events at the Olympic stadium. In October the annual Semaine Olympique gives children the chance to try out all different types of sports.
- Nature lovers will delight in lakeside trails starting in the city. There are stunning trails through the steep Lavaux vineyards.
- The active and adventurous will take pleasure in climbing, mountain biking, cross country skiing and paragliding in resorts such as Villars and Leysin.
- Lac Leman is a playground for water sports including wind gliding, kite surfing, water skiing/wakeboarding and diving. The many public beaches along the lakeside are perfect places to have fun, relax and swim.
- Sports clubs and gyms and fitness studios are a good way to keep fit and meet people. Many gyms offer different membership options and some health insurances contribute towards membership fees.
Sporting events in Lausanne
Lausanne is a great destination for athletes and endurance fans. The city hosts a marathon every October as well as a triathlon and the Athletissima. There are also sailing, climbing and gymnastics events. For detailed information on sports facilities in Lausanne and to find the sport you are looking for, visit www.lausanne.ch.