Sports in Switzerland
Switzerland has an abundance of natural playgrounds and is a paradise for sports and outdoor enthusiasts. Whether water, air, or earth is your preferred element or you live for the adrenalin rush of extreme sports, Switzerland will have something for you.
There is a huge choice of winter and summer sports in Switzerland, including skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing, hiking, canoeing, mountaineering, cycling, mountain biking, golf, wakeboarding, windsurfing and paragliding. Most sports facilities are easily reachable by public transport. Season tickets and club memberships will help to reduce costs.
Sports in Neuchâtel and surrounds
- Lake Neuchâtel is a great destination for lovers of watersport, windsurfers head to Yverdon or Estavayer le Lac every three months when strong winds sweep the lake. Kite surfing is also possible and growing in popularity. For those looking for safer water the beaches along the lakeshores offer barbecue facilities and picnic spots as well as the opportunity to try some water sports. In the summer Aquagliss offers wakeboarding and banana boats for the very adventurous.
- Nature lovers will enjoy using Neuchâtel as a base to explore the surrounding Jura, which can be reached in under half an hour from the town.
- Hiking is considered to be Switzerland's national sporting pastime, and there are ample opportunities in the Neuchâtel region. The tourist office can provide inspiration for hiking excursions although the Creux du Van, an amphitheatre-shaped natural attraction, is perhaps one hiking destination not to be missed.
- Take advantage of the excellent lakeside paths all the way from Neuchâtel to Biel. Make your way by rollerblading, cycling or simply on foot.
- Skiers can head to nearby Bugnenets Savagnier and La Robella or further afield to the many, excellent ski resorts throughout Switzerland.
- Support the local hockey and football teams; both sports are very popular in the town.
- Sports clubs and gyms and fitness studios are a good way to keep fit and meet people. Most gyms offer different membership options and some health insurances contribute towards membership fees.
Sporting events in Neuchâtel