Sports in Switzerland
Switzerland has an abundance of natural playgrounds and is a paradise for sports and outdoor enthusiasts. Whether water, air, or earth is your preferred element or you live for the adrenalin rush of extreme sports, Switzerland will have something for you.
There is a huge choice of winter and summer sports in Switzerland, including skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing, hiking, canoeing, mountaineering, cycling, mountain biking, golf, wakeboarding, windsurfing and paragliding. Most sports facilities are easily reachable by public transport. Season tickets and club memberships will help to reduce costs.
Sports in Schaffhausen
- Schaffhausen Tourism has great suggestions for active holidays and outings.
- The Rhine River is a paradise for water sports. Canoe Trips Sportegge offers paddling down the Rhine and Thur rivers. Canoes can be rented at the Rhine Falls, and there is soft rafting in Rüdlingen. Sportegge also organises tours to cycle one way and paddle back.
- Schaffhausen Tourism has details of all current Rhine boat trip offers.
- The annual Slowup Schaffhausen-Hegau offers 38 kilometres of human-powered mobility.
- The Randen mountain range, a popular local recreation area, has something for everyone: hikes over hills, through forests and fields and challenging bike trails. These lime foothills of the Jura extend along the western part of the canton. It is usually sunny on the Randen even when Schaffhausen is in the fog. In winter there are ski slopes and cross-country tracks.
- Hiking and walking: take a day trip to the surrounding areas or visit a nature park. Take a walk or run along a promenade or follow a vita parcours or Finnish running trail. Schaffhauser Wanderwege is a local hiking club with regular scheduled group hikes.
- Winter sports: there are ski lifts at Egg Hallau and Stich Opfertshofen. For cross country skiing, visit Bargemer Rundspur Hemmental, Eschheimertal-Spur Bargen, and Randenspur Hemmental. Go sledding at Chrüzweg and Guetbuck.
- Cycling: Bikestation has something for everyone. Saltamontes will organise custom-made tours and courses. Randen Bike has mountain bikes for hire. The e-bike park of eastern Switzerland and Schaffhausen Tourism have more great suggestions for cycling in and around Schaffhausen.
- Swimming: there are many swimming pools in the Schaffhausen area, including the Rhine River Bath, known as Rhibadi, historic river baths with springboards, various pools, and a solarium, Finnish sauna and books that can be borrowed. Also swim at KSS Activity Centre, Badi Neunkirch, Badi Schlaate or Freibad Camping Rheinwesen. Also consult the swimming pools.
Sports and activity centres
- Aranea+ Rock Climbing and Badminton Centre has a badminton centre as well as climbing walls and an indoors high rope adventure garden.
- The KSS Activity Centre has swimming pools and spas and ice skating in winter.
- Stallstube Riethof offers a variety of fun activities, including golf on the Weinland Driving Range and the Riethof Olympic Games that promote team spirit with tractor driving, cider making, wood sawing and crossbow shooting.
- The Adventure Park Rheinfall has a forest rope course.
- Play golf at Weinland Dachsen or Golfclub Obere Alp in Stühlingen.
- Play minigolf at Langriet or Wagenhausen.
- Flying: take a panoramic passenger glider flight over Schaffhauserland with the Schaffhausen glider club. Go parasailing, hang gliding and parachuting.
- Join the Stein am Rhein hot air balloon club, or Axotech AG in Schaffhausen.
- Let you stress out on a wall at the Schaffhausen Squash Centre.
- Sports clubs and gyms and fitness studios are a good way to keep fit and meet people. Some health insurances contribute towards membership fees.
- Sportamt, the Schaffhausen governmental department of sport, has a list of sports clubs and associations.
Photo:swiss-image.ch/Fabian von Moos