Sports in Switzerland
Switzerland has an abundance of natural playgrounds and is a paradise for sports and outdoor enthusiasts. Whether water, air, or earth is your preferred element or you live for the adrenalin rush of extreme sports, Switzerland will have something for you.
There is a huge choice of winter and summer sports in Switzerland, including skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing, hiking, canoeing, mountaineering, cycling, mountain biking, golf, wakeboarding, windsurfing and paragliding. Most sports facilities are easily reachable by public transport. Season tickets and club memberships will help to reduce costs.
Sports in Solothurn
- Sports and nature lovers are spoilt for choice in and around Solothurn. Solothurn Regional Tourism has great suggestions for skiing hiking, cycling, water sports and other activities.
- Sports clubs and gyms and fitness studios are a good way to keep fit and meet people. Some health insurances contribute towards membership fees.
- Sport Region Solothurn covers an array of different winter and summer sports activities in Canton Solothurn. The cantonal specialist department of sports lists sports clubs in Solothurn.
- The cantonal specialist department for sports has information on youth sports activities and clubs in Canton Solothurn.
- The Solothurn CIS sports centre offers tennis, badminton and squash, and the Zuchwil Sports Centre a wide range of in- and outdoor activities.
- Solothurn Bike Days is a popular annual cycling festival held every year in May. Bicycles are easy to hire in Solothurn.
- Hiking is regarded as Switzerland's national sport, and Solothurn is no exception when it comes to opportunities. The Verena Gorge and Hermitage is a popular local hike. Another well-known hiking trail is the Weissenstein Peak which forms part of the Jura mountain range.
- Longer hiking trails include the Jura Peak Trail, Seeland-Solothurn, Weissenstein-Wasserfallen and Wolf's Gorge.
- The hiking club Solothurner Wanderwege has a group hiking programme. There are several running trails in and around Solothurn, including local Vita Parcours fitness trails.
- The forestry department of Canton Solothurn has several suggestions for forest hikes.
- Chasseral-Weissenstein Mitelland, Aare and the Jura Foothills are popular cycling routes.
- The Thal Nature Park offers Solothurn forest trails guided by a local forest ranger, as well as many cycling trails.
- Swim at the Grenchen Swimming Pools, Schwimmbad Solothurn, and other local swimming pools. The Solothurn Swimming Club offers a variety of courses.
- Climb at Klus Balsthal or the Oberbuchstein-Egerkingen Quarry.
- Balmberg has a rope park.
- Weissenstein features traditional wrestling.
- Horse riding is popular in Solothurn: join a riding school.
- The local airport, Grenchen, offers different flying activities, including parasailing, hang gliding and parachuting.
- Ruderklub Solothurn offers rowing activities.
- Sailing: nautic and navigation offers boating courses and exams.
- Golf: the Wilyhof Golf Club in Luterbach is an 18 hole course amidst picturesque scenery.