The most important types of insurance in switzerland Understanding Switzerland's insurance system

What types of insurance are mandatory in Switzerland? Which other policies are not mandatory but are essential for comprehensive insurance cover? Helvetia shows you how to enjoy a carefree start to life in Switzerland.

Life is unpredictable - all it takes it one careless move, and you can be facing a worst case scenario. Luckily you can take out private liability insurance, which usually covers the costs of any damage incurred.

To ensure that expats are well insured from the outset, Helvetia offers a Welcome Package for the first 90 days which combines private liability insurance with basic legal protection and household contents insurance. The insurance it includes is not mandatory in Switzerland. But as this and other examples show, it is useful and makes sense in order to avoid painful financial losses in the event of a claim.

  • Private liability insurance covers claims arising from damage incurred by third parties.
  • Household contents insurance covers damage to your own property such as damage caused by fire, water or theft.
  • The additional insurance for petty theft off-premises covers items such as sledges or skis placed outside a mountain restaurant.

Set up insurances

Daniel Ahmeti and his team of professional insurance advisers at Helvetia are here to offer comprehensive insurance advice tailored to the needs of international people living in Switzerland.

Health insurance, accident insurance and social insurance are mandatory

In addition to these voluntary but highly recommended types of insurance there are also some that are binding in Switzerland. These include mandatory health insurance (basic insurance) and, for employees, the 1st and 2nd pillars of the state and occupational pension schemes. For employees who work more than eight hours a week, accident insurance is automatically covered by the employer. Otherwise, accident insurance must be taken out via your health insurance scheme. For car owners, motor vehicle liability insurance is also mandatory. In addition, home owners are obliged in most cantons to insure the building against natural hazards.

The immigration experts at Helvetia will be pleased to advise you and to tailor the insurance options that extend beyond mandatory requirements to meet your personal needs.


Mandatory Insurance

Persons in gainful employment 

  • Health insurance (without accident cover)
  • Motor vehicle liability insurance
  • Building insurance (in most cantons)

Additionally for persons not in gainful employment  

  • Health insurance with accident cover

Essential insurance for comprehensive cover 

Persons in gainful employment 

  • Private liability insurance
  • Household contents insurance with accurately valued sum insured (no under-insurance)
  • Earning disability insurance
  • Death benefits insurance
  • Assistance (travel insurance)
  • Legal protection insurance

Additionally for persons not in gainful employment 

  • Death benefits insurance and earning disability insurance


Photo: © Helvetia

Author: Helvetia Insurance

Helvetia offers an extensive product range for immigrants and covers all insurance requirements. You can rely on our in-depth expertise and personal service in any situation and for a wide variety of topics. Visit our website for more information and to get in touch with one of our advisers.

provided by

Take control of your relocation

Free guidance and support lets you take control of your own relocation.

Order extra support easily if you need it.

» Browse our Relocation Store

Featured Partners Thanks to all supporting partners of Hello Switzerland