Temporary and short term housing availability in Switzerland
Temporary housing in Switzerland is difficult to find. It is possible to find furnished 1-2 bedroom apartments that offer 1-6 months leases but this depends on supply and demand.
There are some service providers that offer short term accommodation.
Tips for finding short term accommodation
- Start looking 4-5 weeks prior to arriving
- Keep your arrival date flexible if possible to increase chances of availability
- Check the minimum rental period
- Check the cancellation terms, such as notice period, first possible date etc.
Temporary accommodation options in Switzerland
Unlike in other countries, there is not a very wide range of temporary accommodation in Switzerland.
The three main options for short term accommodation are:
- Hotel stay: Expensive, and not convenient for a family or with pets but flexible.
- Hotel furnished apartments: cheaper than a hotel, with less flexibility regarding notice periods, and usually studios or a 1 bedroom apartment.
- Furnished apartments with a lease contract: cheaper but less flexible, with a minimum lease term of 1-6 months and a notice period of 1-3 months.
How to secure temporary accommodation
- Hotel stay: book a hotel through a travel agent, internet or the company's network
- Hotel furnished apartments: reserve a hotel apartment with a credit card or a deposit
- Furnished apartments with a lease contract: the process is the same as for permanent accommodation through a real estate agent
Are you looking for temporary accommodation?
We will help you with finding suitable temporary accommodation search, and we can provide furniture rental so you can settle into your new home while waiting for your shipment to arrive.